SkillsFuture Study Award for Power Sector (SFSA)
The Power sector offers meaningful careers that help to keep the lights on and gas flowing for Singapore. The sector anticipates many exciting upcoming developments ranging from the expansion of the Liquefied Natural Gas Terminal, the increasing deployment of solar energy and energy storage, to the need to mitigate cyber-security challenges for power systems. These developments make our daily lives possible today.
A strong Singapore core that possesses deep and relevant skills is an asset that we must nurture together. Early to mid-career Singaporeans in the Power or related sectors can apply for the SkillsFuture Study Award for Power sector to support them in deepening their power engineering skills.
About the Study Awards
The SkillsFuture Study Awards is a monetary award to help Singaporeans equip themselves with the skills needed to benefit from quality jobs created by our economy. It encourages Singaporeans to deepen specialist skills needed by future economic growth sectors or in areas of demand. Successful applicants of the SkillsFuture Study Awards will each receive S$5,000. This award is bond-free and can be used in addition to existing government course fee subsidies.
- with at least two years of engineering work experience in the Power sector (Electricity and Gas) or related sectors; or
- is a Licensed Electrical Worker (LEW)/Licensed Gas Service Worker(LGSW)/ Licensed Cable Detection Worker(LCDW); or
- with at least two years of relevant Power Engineering skillsets in other sectors.
- Not be a previous recipient of any SkillsFuture Study Awards, or a current recipient of any scholarship/full bursary/full company sponsorship awarded for the same course.
- Meet entry requirements for relevant engineering courses (e.g. chemical, mechanical, electrical, power engineering) offered by local government institutions (i.e. ITE, polytechnic, university), Singapore Institute of Power & Gas and BCA Academy.
- The course applied to must be a single structured programme offered by an institute of higher learning/training provider, with a minimum duration of 80 hours.
- Must not have completed more than 50% of supported course at the point of application.
Submission of Application:
- Please indicate in the Career Development Plan of your application form why the Power sector is a choice career and why you deserve the Study Award.
- Please upload the following documents in the online application portal:
- Scanned copy of LEW/LGSW/LCDW licence (if you are a licensed worker);
- A testimonial or referral letter from past/current employer or the Union of Power and Gas Employees that states how the selected course can help to deepen engineering skills related to the Power sector. All applications must be accompanied by a testimonial or referral letter;
- Course curriculum or outline of selected course of study (if any). For applicants who have already commenced the course at the point of application - Please complete Form 1 (Declaration of Completed Module) to state clearly the list of modules, and corresponding number of academic / credit units allocated for each module (if relevant); and
- Scanned copy of Letter of Offer or Matriculation from the institution (if any).
- Only complete applications will be accepted for evaluation.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. EMA reserves the right not to disclose the reasons for not shortlisting any applications.
Award Ceremony 2017
As part of the national movement to provide Singaporeans with opportunities to develop to their fullest potential, the Energy Market Authority conferred 10 Singaporeans with the inaugural SkillsFuture Study Award for Power Sector in October 2017. This Award aims to support early to mid-career Singaporeans in the industry who aspire to deepen their power engineering skills. Each recipient will receive a bond-free award of $5,000 to defray out-of-pocket training expenses for engineering courses related to the Power Sector.